Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Restaurant Critique

Alright, so Karen and I have decided that each week we are going to visit a new restaurant in our area, that we have never been to before, and then give a critique on this blog. We are doing it just for fun for us but if it can help someone else try somewhere new than we have done some good.

Last week we went to a Viatnemese noodle house called Pho Saigon. It is located onn Mason by Tuesday Mornings. When we were first looked at the menu I was very overwhelmed because there were so many things on the menu and I had no idea what any of them where. However, after some serious studying of the menu, I decided to order #67 Bun Ga Nuong Cha Gio. See why I would have trouble ordering. It is a vericelli noodle with char broiled chicken and fried egg roll. It comes in this cool bowl with sprouts, carrott shavings, mint, noodles, chicken and chopped peanuts on top. It also came with a sauce that you pour on top before eating it. I was shocked at how amazing it was. I often feel sick after eating most meals but this was very light and fresh. I loved it!!! I also ordered the Goi Cuon, or the fresh spring roll. If you go to other places spring rolls have a dough like wrap. However, this was a sticky white wrapper. It was very different but I liked it. I would suggest this restaurant to all of my friends. It was very yummy!!!

This week we went to a little shop called Sweet and Salty Gourmet Bakery. It was a very cute little bakery. When you first walk in you see these amazing desserts that you can't help but drool over. They have little sandwiches in all different types of breads. We ordered a couple of different sandwiches to try out the selection. They have sandwiches on white bread without any crust. These were not my favorite. I ordered the roasted pepper and cheese and I felt like it needed another componant. Like sprouts or some other seasoning for flavor. However, they have another sandwich called a locatelis that I thought was delicious. The roll that they serve it in is so yummy. I could eat several of these sandwiches in one sitting. They were delicious. I also tried the ham and cheese empanada and it was also very yummy. We couldn't leave without trying their scrumptious desserts. We had a chocolate cup, which was literally a chocolate cup filled with vanilla cake, tres leche, merinque, whip cream and cherry. It was very good, rich, but good. I wish that it had some sort of custard in the place of the cake but that is just my personal opinion. We also had the chocolate eclair and who can go wrong with an eclair. It was delicious. The filling was very light and the pastry was very tasty. I personally think that Sweet and Salty is by far better than Ooh La La and priced much more reasonably as well. I won't be rushing back to this restaurant but it wasn't bad.

3 comments:

Heather said...

That's so much fun April! We talk about trying out mom and pop shops all the time, just never find the time.

Peyton WIlcock said...

Your post makes me miss our favorite place in Colorado. It was a Viatnemese place that I would crave all the time! I haven't found anything here as good yet.

Heather said...

Well, where's the updates of your weekly critiques??